Training for the 5K



Despite my hesitation due to a 13 mile walk my sister and I did 3 years ago which I swore I'd never do again, my sister convinced me to join her for a 5K in Connecticut on Thanksgiving Day this year. I figured the only way I would actually follow through with my exercise regimen was to have something to train for. So I've been training pretty good, and on Monday I actually had some time off at the office in between meetings so I decided to go for a run outside along the river, since it was such nice weather (now it's totally freezing here so I'm sure those days are behind me). I used the shoes that I got from Jose for my bday since those are the ones I usually keep at work. I'd used them a couple of times before, although mostly for the elliptical or treadmill at the office gym. So I'm chugging along and my feet are kinda hurting which I figured was because I was wearing short socks. When I stopped at the mid way point (thanks to my imapmyrun program on my iPhone which is awesome) to tie my shoes I realized there was blood everywhere -- my socks, my shoes, my pants, the shoelaces, etc. I had gotten a major blister. I was in so much pain I wanted to take a taxi cab back to the office but I had only left the office with my ID badge and my iPhone. Then I thought of walking it back (barefoot!) but I didn't have enough time to get back to my 4 o'clock meeting. So I had to run it back in excruciating pain. The upside? I ran my fastest pace yet (10:26 per mile) because I was in so much pain I wanted to whole thing to be over with. The downside? That was last Monday and almost a week later this stupid blister hasn't healed properly which is making me really fear running, as if I needed any more excuses to not run on top of HATING it!!! So I've done most of my training but yesterday I got on the treadmill at home and for some reasons treadmill slow me down significantly. I couldn't finish the 3.5 miles I was supposed to do, while outside I am already able to run 3+ miles without stopping. I bought these blisters band-aids which worked OK while running but came right off whenever I wasn't running from the sweat or something. Now I bought these liquid bandages and put them on but I don't know if that's good enough to be able to run. I'm starting to get worried that I won't be properly healed by the date of the 5K race! Does anyone know something great for horrible painful blisters? I'm such an idiot, I'm never running 3 miles with new shoes again...you can see my erratic behavior on the map to the right. :)

On top of everything I didn't have enough time to take a shower after that so I'm all bleeding and sweaty at the office, ready for my 4 pm meeting. Lovely. I'm sure all my co-workers will be elated when they find out about that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gigi's Baby Shower

Marketing Jobs