But first, let me take a #SELFIE

Recently I got the iPad mini as a Xmas present, so I gave my two kids the older Gen 2 iPad for them to play with.  Last night my daughter says can I open an instagram account for her. Well, she didn't exactly say instagram.  She goes "can you sign me up for that thing where you follow people and see their pictures"? Since I have already told her a million times she's not getting on Facebook anytime soon I assumed that she meant instagram (she did). This one friend from her classroom has an iPad mini HERSELF and likely every social media app loaded on it (I won't even comment on this, I still have to argue with my daughter every day about the fact that she's not getting a cell phone until she's at least 10).  But of course since my daughter's friend has instagram then it follows that my daughter wants to follow her friend.  So I download the app on "their" iPad, register her, and start following just a few folks (mostly family and myself of course!).   She mentioned Justin Bieber at some point but I dutifully ignored her. So anyway, she takes the iPad with her to bed (which I normally don't allow) and I wake up this morning to a hundred thousand new likes on MY instagram (one for every picture I've ever posted) and lots of misspelled comments like "We are so bitufil", "We look so funy", "I look so qut" and the obligatory "Wow" sprinkled generously throughout.  My favorite was "I look so premature" (I assume in her confused bilingual mind that means she looks so young?).

That's when I realized that I just created ONE more member of the self-absorbed #SELFIE generation, as if the world needed any more.  I know you are thinking DUH, what else did you think was going to happen?  Didn't you see how I spent the first half of the post saying I'm such a strict mom who doesn't let her kids do this or that and the other half of the post totally proving the opposite? And of course, you would be right.  But I guess I had just thought to myself she was going to take a whole bunch of pictures of her brother and her cat and forget about it.

Go ahead, you can pontificate now...But first, let me take a #SELFIE.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gigi's Baby Shower

Marketing Jobs