Post from Dooce.com

This one made me cry not because of her ability to convey the sheer enormity of being a parent, but because it let me know that you don't have to be all TIGER MOM to get your kids to succeed in life, that you can just be supporting and let them grow on their own and not pressure them into success with constant criticism. And that the pride they feel in accomplishing things all by themselves is much greater than the feeling of just barely having avoided disappointing the critical eye of your parents. As a child of the TIGER MOM line of thinking I am happy there's another way. I struggle every day, sitting on both sides of the fence, pledging to be totally unlike my mother but realizing that what's been ingrained in me for almost 30 years is kinda hard to suppress. I hope I can spend more days on the supportive side of the fence than on the TIGER MOM one. And maybe then I will feel like as a parent I am deserving of the amazing kids I was lucky to have.

Comments

Jessica said…
Ay Ivette, gracias por este post... no sabes how much I relate, is the same feeling, the same experience of being raised with a TIGER mom and trying NOT to be one but knowing that it is so IN you that is so freaking hard to get it OUT that it hurts! I'm crying typing this, so you are NOT alone. Gracias x compartir el post y tus sentimientos, al menos no me siento tan sola y se que hay otras como YO luchando con los comportamientos aprendidos para ser AUN MAS una awesome and supportive mom. Un abrazo caluroso en ese frio pelu q hay por alla. :)
Unknown said…
gracias Jessica, it's definitely great to know I'm not the only one!
Unknown said…
Jessica referred me this this article yesterday (http://t.co/Pd1epnMq) and I found it deeply comforting. Relieved that I'm not the only one that feels this way, but hopefully for a better way.

Popular posts from this blog

Gigi's Baby Shower

Marketing Jobs