Nextel 10K

This weekend I had signed up for another 10K, this time I signed up to do my first race with my husband.  We "trained" one time which basically meant running five miles the Sunday before.  During training we started off really fast (like (8.5 minutes per mile, fast for ME!) and I quickly realized I wasn't going to be able to keep up that pace.  So once we hit the half way point I told my husband to go back on his own so that I could run/walk.  I had no energy that day but I chalked it up to "it happens" -- some days you just don't have as much energy as others.  What I didn't realize is that night I was going to get the stomach bug from hell which would put me in bed for the next 48 hours. So to run a 10K "competitively" 3 days later was kind of a daunting thing. So as much as yesterday I wanted to run WITH my husband (not in the same race as him!) I told him at the beginning "you do your own thing I'll do mine".  While there's always times during a race where you want to quit and go home to take a nap or just start walking instead of running I hung in there the whole time and I remember thinking "OK, this is my pace, I'm comfortable at this pace, I could keep running at this pace". This was in huge contrast to the one two weekends ago where I was trying to keep up with Jose's cousin and I was suffering the whole time trying to keep up with him until about the 7th Km where I just told him to go ahead without me.  The result? I was actually faster this time by almost 2 minutes (56:46 vs. 58:37 for the Nike #WeRunLima10K.  Huge lesson learned, when running, don't put yourself pressure to keep up with others, DO YOUR OWN THING, go at the pace you feel comfortable with, and you'll probably be a lot happier the whole time you're running and do a whole lot better.



Now my husband's got the running bug! We are now signed up for an 8K on December 16th. After the end of that one my son Sebas will do a mini-race during the same event (La Vuelta a San Isidro) because now he says he wants to run too. :)

Comments

Mandy said…
Great job!! Your time is putting me to shame!!

Popular posts from this blog

Gigi's Baby Shower

Marketing Jobs