Harry Potter and the Chamber of Emotions

Last night Gabi started watching Harry Potter on ABC and I told her it was my favorite movie so she was really intrigued but since it was time for bed soon after I told her I'd record it so she could watch in the morning. This morning she woke up excited to see Mom's favorite movie and in usual fashion has been asking who's this, and why's that every other second. Which basically means she's hooked. :)

There are parts of the movie where she's of course scared because she's hiding behind the bed covers and I'm telling her it's OK it's all just pretend. But then a more "fun for kids" part comes up and I tell her oh you should watch this this is the quidditch game, or oh you should watch this this is the big chess game because I think those will me more fun for her. Anyway, In the part where Ron sacrifices himself in the big chess game, I guess she assumed Ron died because seconds later, lips quivering, trying to hold back the tears, she asks me to please put Star Wars back on. (Choice of movies is the subject of a separate blog post, I can't attempt to explain it right now). I try to explain to her that Ron will be OK, that they will be soon eating jelly beans together, but she's heartbroken and doesn't want to see more. Can't deal with the emotions right now. It was like the first time she saw Mary Poppins and when Mary left she was inconsolable.

Needless to say, I see so much of me in her, some of these wonderful emotions (particularly as it relates to relationships, losing loved ones) that unfortunately will cause her so much pain in the future. It kills me to see her going through these difficult emotions and most of all BRAVELY trying to deal with them. The whole time she's asking me to please stop Harry Potter she is trying to not cry, trying to act like she's OK but I can just see her struggling to keep up the appearances. I hug her and again tell her Ron and Harry will be OK. It makes me feel that this is just a taste of what she'll encounter in the world. I want to save her from all the heartache and pain I possible can, but I know that's impossible and that just brings tears to my eyes. Tears I am not brave enough to hold back, unlike her.

Whoever knew a movie like Harry Potter could have so much meaning?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gigi's Baby Shower

Marketing Jobs