Too much milk?

Sebastian had his 12 month appointment at the pediatrician yesterday. It continues to baffle us that no matter how big people think he is, he is always in a super low percentage. Yesterday they said he was like 15% for height and 25% for weight some ridiculous thing like that. What I don't understand is if 12-18 months clothes fit him fine, doesn't that mean he's on track!? And if he was supposed to move up to the new car seat at 1 year or 20 lbs. and he weighed 20 lbs. doesn't that also mean he's fine?! I know there are some huge babies out there, but I don't know when huge babies became the new norm.

Anyway, while I wasn't there for most of the visit because I had swimming classes with Gabi, the doctor apparently told him that the baby's drinking too much milk. Since when did drinking milk became a bad thing? They say that when he drinks too much milk that means he can miss out on other important foods like meats, cheeses, etc. But Sebastian eats really well on top of the milk. He has never been one to miss out on any kind of food. On the contrary, he is always trying to get a hold of whatever food he lays his eyes on! So while Jose is more of a purist who is now trying to force me to only give him some ridiculously low amount of milk like a total of 16 oz. a day, I say the kid looks healthy, is happy, and will continue to eat a great variety of food like he does today, no matter how much milk he drinks! Sometimes these pediatricians really piss me off. And I know they probably know better than I do, but it just seems retarded to deprive the kid from something that's supposed to be good for you and he loves so much. Anybody out there has had this dilemma?

Comments

MIT Mommy said…
Hi Not Mommy,

Ironically, my name IS Mommy, so I thought it would be fun to introduce myself, since we are fellow alumni and all =).

As for the milk thing, my first one drank upwards of 40 oz a day. He is now 6 1/2, eats well, and is the picture of health. My personal philosophy is that we have a tendency to suppress our natural ability to decide what our bodies need. So, my children eat whatever they want as long as it healthy - well, and I do encourage them to eat what I serve, but there are always other options including things like apples, bananas, yogurt, cheese, milk, carrots, etc etc, after they try at least one bite of my fabulous cooking.

That was my mother's philosophy, and I have never, ever gone on a diet. (I weight less than 120 lbs and am 5'6").

There are studies that show that children left to their own devices will eat what they need and not starve, provided they are given the opportunity to make good choices.

Okay, sorry for such a long comment. The bottom line - I agree with you. Let him have the milk, his body probably needs the protein. (Just don't put chocolate in it) =).
Unknown said…
thank you so much for making me feel better about it! It's so cool to find another MIT mommy!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Gigi's Baby Shower

Marketing Jobs