Heek from Well

This week has been just a little bit crazy. On Sunday Sebastian developed a fever and a cough so we kept a close eye on him and talked to the pediatrician who said it sounded like croup. By Monday Morning he seemed worse so we decided to bypass the doctor and go straight to the hospital where they confirmed the croup diagnosis. Gabi had never had that so we'd never dealt with it. It seems that with Sebastian we've had to deal with some illnesses that we'd never dealt with. In fact, the last time I can remember Gabi being sick was when she got scarlet fever, right after Sebastian was born, which was basically a year ago.

Anyway, I had to work from home on Monday which is always hard with a sick kid because they are typically fussier and more clingy than normal. It's also a lot harder to get them to go to sleep although he's normally super easy to go to sleep.

On Tuesday i was supposed to go Boston early in the morning, but I had to delay my flight to the evening and again work from home because he still wasn't doing very well. When I was leaving for the airport he started feeling warm again, by the time I landed his fever was at 103 which made me almost turn right back around to Cincinnati but Jose said he would just deal. At least that night I was able to see good friends - Ana and Cindy from MIT and Mara and Gigi from puerto rico. We had a great time but of course Mara and I went to sleep super late just chatting so I was exhausted the next day.

Meetings went well on Wednesday and when I landed in Cinci I had to go straight to Avenue Q without even seeing the kids. Avenue Q was AMAZING though. I'm so glad we went. But I was happy to go home and see the kids the next day.

On Thursday sebastian was still not well enough to go to day care so I had to work from home and then tote him around town for doctors' appointments which is always a challenge.

On Friday we left them at day care and drove to chicago for an afternoon cubs game. They would stay with a very generous friend of ours (thank you!) for the night. By now I'm so behind on my work I'm trying to get stuff done in the car which is a nightmare. Anyway the Cubs game was great and last night we had decided to try Obama's favorite Mexican restaurant in Chicago but I laid down for a nap around 7 pm and didn't wake up until this morning. I guess my body needed that! And as I told jose, getting 12 hours of sleep seems much more like a treat to me at this point than going to a nice restaurant, even if it is Obama's favorite.

We are now driving back to Cinci to get the kids since I'm running a relay leg in the Flying Pigs tomorrow. I should be working instead of blogging but i'll jut try to get stuff done tonight and tomorrow night when the kids go to sleep.

Tomorrow jose also leaves for geneva for a whole week, so I'm grateful my friend Ida is coming to stay with me a couple of nights. She has no idea what she's in for. :)

Suffice it to say by the time jose gets back from geneva I'll be ready for a vacation (and not getting one). I am almost jealous of those friends of mine with nannies. I have learned that flexibility is a way of life when you have small children, and the company you work for should be flexible as well or things will never work out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gigi's Baby Shower

Marketing Jobs