Road Trip: Texas

It seems that everywhere I go I take the cold with me. When I went to Miami for Elika's bachelorette it was 45 degrees, and this weekend in Austin for Miguel and Veronica's wedding, it was like in the 50's and WINDY like all hell. In fact everyone kept joking that we were actually in Chicago. So I guess first off I must apologize to the bride and groom for bringing the bad weather with me. However, despite the fact that we froze our asses off all weekend long (especially in skimpy dresses on Saturday), the weekend was a blast and all the activities around the wedding were awesome.

Here are the weekend highlights...

Friday:
It took Jose and I a WHILE to get to Austin. We missed our connection out of Dallas because the flight out of Indy arrived late. Then Jose gets placed in the 4 pm flight out of Dallas but I don't get placed until 7 pm. We had the rehearsal dinner at 7 pm plus bad weather was supposed to be coming into the area so we decided to do the 3 hr. drive. We didn't have our GPS because we had packed it into our suitcase but at least the Google Maps on the blackberry worked fine.

7 pm - Rehearsal dinner at Malaga's, a Spanish tapas place in downtown Austin which they had closed down just for us. The food was great, the wine excellent, and the company even better. We finally met Veronica there and saw a cute little video of when she was in the PBS show "The Perkins Family".

Saturday:
12 am - The guys go off in their own and the girls do too. We went to many a bar on 6th street but to be honest I can't even remember the names of any of them. All we know is that when the 80 year old guy that looked like Bill Cosby started hitting on me, it was time to leave. Highlights: some very tasty shots that Maripili and Clara hated but remind me of Jolly Ranchers.


11 am - Breakfast at Jamba Juice. More cold weather, this time very WINDY!

12 pm - We go shopping at the Round Rock Outlet Mall for a more casual dress at BCBG because I didn't realize the wedding was in the afternoon and the dress I took with me was way too dressy. Great thing I found an awesome deal at BCBG - the dress was originally priced at $318 and I got it for $47. That alone made the trip to Austin worth it.

3 pm - We get into the shuttle buses that take us to the church, Our Lady of Guadalupe. From there we get back on the shuttle bus for an hour long ride to the location. It was absolutely breathtaking, but unfortunately the cold meant that people were a lot happier hanging out inside than outside.



11 pm - We head back home to sleep after a long afternoon/night of eating, drinking and dancing. But before doing that I had to make sure to get enough red wine on 3 pashminas that Maripili and I borrowed from Maripili's mom. Thankfully club soda did the trick with the pashminas. Back in downtown everyone wanted to keep partying on 6th street but Jose and I were too tired.

Sunday:
10 am - Breakfast at Starbucks/Jamba Juice. Then we pick up Eduardo at the Embassy Suites.

12 pm - Lunch at Maria's Taco Xpress. Maria happens to be from Argentina but that didn't make the tacos any less tasty. We loved the ambiance of the place, very eclectic and carefree. The band was playing Christian "Blues" which we actually enjoyed immensely, and we enjoyed even more watching the hippies dancing. Jose was only 2 beers away from joining them. This was the totally awesome but unexpected discovery of the trip. The next day on the American Way magazine on the plane they actually have pictures and an article about the place.



1 pm - Eduardo drinks a Cuban coffee while I eat a "cookie cookie" for dessert. I guess Eduardo's Cuban coffee wasn't Cuban enough because he naps while we drive to the San Marcos Outlet Mall.



2 pm - Shopping shopping shopping. 3 hours at the mall and the female walked out with nothing, while the guys both walked out with stuff from Ralph Lauren, and Eduardo even bought a suitcase.

6 pm - We go back to the Intercontinental Hotel and enjoy a warm and relaxing dip in the hot tub. At least this time I didn't waste the bikini wax!



7 pm - We refuse to let Eduardo convince us to go to the IMAX and watch Sharks 3-D.

8 pm - We shower and we go to dinner at "Green Mesquite" BBQ place. It was good, although I asked for 3 things that they didn't have (pulled pork, baked potatoes, and ice cream). The best part was the interesting signs on the wall, my favorite read: "We don't separate Czechs, unless they don't get along". Eduardo took this "extreme close-up" picture of us at the restaurant.



9:30 pm - We have a drink at the hotel bar and call it a night, since we have to wake up on Monday at 3:45 am to catch a 6 am flight out of Austin. Poor Eduardo probably thought we were the most boring couple ever. We probably are, but we're OK with that.

Monday:
10 am - I finish reading my very interesting book about the "Daughters of Juarez". Time for reading is not something that comes often these days so I really appreciate it when it does because I love to read.

11 am - Ge goes to pick us up a the Indy airport with Gabi and our hearts melt.

2 pm - After arriving back in Cincinnati, we meet with our accountant and find out I ONLY have to pay $4100 in taxes. Uncle Sam sure has it in for me this year.

3 pm - All hell breaks loose at work and I wonder what in the world prompted me to came back...Oh yeah, having to pay that measly $4100 to Uncle Sam.

Favorite part of the weekend: constantly getting confused with Sandra Bullock. I have heard this a few times in my lifetime, but since I was in her home town I guess it was bound to happen more often. :)



Coming up next: Elika & Jero's wedding in PR is on April 28!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gigi's Baby Shower

Marketing Jobs