Where are my kids really from?

Last month we got a note from Gabi's teacher that they were going to do a focus theme called "We are all different, we are all alike".  They were going to take advantage of this opportunity to showcase different cultures based on where the kids were from.  Now since we had gotten a typical Peruvian costume recently while in Peru I automatically thought to talk about Peru -- also because other than where we are living at the moment, this is where Gabi spends the most amount of time.  Now this sometimes gets me a little bit because sometimes it's hard to think that my daughter considers herself more Peruvian than Puertorrican, but it's just one of those things we deal with. She spends much more time in Peru than Puerto Rico so it's only natural.  What I found interesting was that Gabi started going, "But Mom I'm not really Peruvian I'm from Cincinnati".  You should see the look on my husband's face when she says this he almost wants to throw up.  But I guess I can also understand why she would think this - after all, Cincinnati is where she has spent most of her life, and also where both her and brother were born.  So I know rationally we shouldn't take it as an insult to Peru or Puerto Rico but rather as a reflection of her 5 year old point of view. So we joked that we should go to the school one week to talk about Peru, one week to talk about Puerto Rico, and one third week to talk about Cincinnati (well the US anyway I don't think Gabi realizes Cincinnati is located in the US).

Anyway, here's her at school yesterday dancing this typical Peruvian dance called "Marinera".

Comments

Anonymous said…
Well she is a good and beautiful
Peruvian-Puerto Rican-American citizen of the world.
And from all of the above, good and beautiful is what counts.
Why do I know, just because I am the proud Grandfather.
Pp
Jessica said…
Q bella y lo mejor, como saca la lengua para concentrarse en su baile. Felicidades Gabi! Should we say she is CinciPerurrican? :) Los mios seria entonces Chicolomboricuas. :) Un abrazo.
Unknown said…
Jessica lo de la lengua creo que es heredado de mi. Estoy casi segura que tengo vídeos de recitales míos con la lengua por fuera igual. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Gigi's Baby Shower

Marketing Jobs