Disposable Cameras

My nephew Jake went to sleep away camp for a week last week, he's 7 going on 8. Through the summer camp administration I was able to send him emails to say hello (although he couldn't reply) and his parents were also able to send him "care packages" (I know it sounds like an exaggeration when the kid is only going away for a week but the kids probably feel pretty homesick because often times they've never been away from home for that long). Anyway, my sister decided to send him a care package on one day which contained, among other things, a disposable camera.

At the end of the week when my sister went to pick him up from the camp she said "OK Jake give me the disposable camera so that we can go get it developed" to which he replies in his most deadpan "duh" attitude (seriously): "Mom, it's a DISPOSABLE camera, you take pictures and then you throw it away. Duh!". Can you believe it?

Then I started thinking to a kid who's 7.5 years old, disposable cameras are what diskettes are to us now, or the first PC we ever saw, some antiquated piece of technology they don't even know how to use.

Which reminds me I was watching one my favorite movies Office Space the other night and when they show this part where they are programming the computers to steal the money and they use a diskette to do it, my husband (who's 2.5 years younger than I am) says "what did you use those for again?". Hilarious.

Anyway, my daughter Gabi already knows that after you take a picture with a digital camera you can instantly see it, so whenever I take a picture of her she automatically begs me to show her the picture on the camera screen. She also loves it when I replay videos that I've taken with the camera. When she's 4 years old, will she even know what a Polaroid is? I think the last kids to know what a Polaroid was were the ones who watched the Outkast video for "Hey Ya". Although I can also imagine some of those kids going "what does it mean to shake it like a Polaroid picture"?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Howdy fantastic blog! Does running a blog like this take a massive amount work?
I've no knowledge of coding but I had been hoping to start my own blog soon. Anyway, if you have any recommendations or tips for new blog owners please share. I understand this is off subject but I simply had to ask. Appreciate it!

Here is my weblog - addiction To methadone

Popular posts from this blog

Gigi's Baby Shower

Marketing Jobs