eBay Cheaters

You know that show Cheaters that people only watch at 2 am when they’re suffering from insomnia? Yes I’ve been there. Although thankfully I’m not there now since Gabi’s sleeping through the night which means I am too. But I have been bummed out for a while about this guy who scammed me on eBay. My husband will get seriously pissed off at me when he reads this because it’s sort of my fault for trusting people (and rushing to do things always).

When I was on maternity leave I got hooked on the AMEX Wish List thing since I was at home practically every day at every hour of the day. Beware pregnant women out there, it’s addictive, and by the way, there’s another round of its starting now on June 4th. If you have an AMEX card here’s the link for it, although I seriously warn against getting hooked on it.

Anyway, the whole time my sister is calling asking, did you get it did you get it? “It” (as the eBay ads so brilliantly portray) consisted of various articles that you could get at about 60% discount vs. retail – golf clubs, cars, jewelry, bags, electronics, etc. I was “lucky” enough to win one of those once, I got an ARCHOS “personal DVR” which normally retails for $800 for the great price of $300. First I said, I’ll sell it and get the money. But then being the tech freak that I am I decided to keep it. At first I was hooked on it and used it to record movies from my Cable system, which I would then watch while I was working out on the treadmill. But once I started working full-time again, it all went to hell. So it had been basically sitting in one of my drawers—unused—for about 1 year. So about a year later my sister says, hey I’ll buy it from you for the $300 you paid for it. But I said well maybe it’s the time to make some money off it like I intended all along. Especially since I was going to a girls’ weekend trip in Miami and didn’t have spending money (not having money is a theme for me if you haven’t caught on yet – despite the fact I probably make more money at work than 95% of the world’s population).

So I finally went on eBay. I’m an eBay semi-professional, I’ve sold tons of stuff before. I was particularly prolific right when I started my maternity leave but hadn’t had the baby yet and decided my “nesting” was going to consist of getting rid of stuff around the house that occupied a lot of space but I wasn’t using anymore. So I sold a whole bunch of Coach bags I don’t use anymore, and a lot of books & DVD’s. So it wasn’t like I was an eBay newbie or anything. I had also had my shared of scam in the past. I paid for some Ugg (supposedly authentic) boots out of China that never arrived and I paid with Western Union so I was never able to get my money back.

I was excited to see as the personal DVR rose all the way up to $635, I was ecstatic! I immediately send out the invoice for that as well as other small items I had been selling at the same time. The guy emailed me saying he didn’t have enough money in his PayPal account, that he only had ~$400 then and there but that the PayPal payment would go through in about 2-3 days. I sent him the DVR, yes I did. Why do you ask? Two things: a) I’m a little bit of an anal retentive freak and I like to have everything done and done in time. Since I was leaving for Miami that weekend I wanted to make sure to send it out before leaving so that I wouldn’t get any bad feedback or anything for not sending quickly enough. b) I’m a somewhat gullible/trusting person. Even though I should’ve read the warning signs I totally believed the person would pay me, especially since he seemed so responsive at the beginning. So while I thought I would make a net gain of $300 on my ARCHOS, I ended up losing the $300 I initially spent on it. To this day, I am still angry with myself about it, and this happened back in February.

Every once in a while I email the guy and tell him “please do the right thing and send me the money; I really am strapped for money”. No response of course. I won’t say I learned a lesson because I already knew YOU NEVER SEND THEM ANYTHING UNTIL YOU SEE THE MONEY IN YOUR PAY PAL ACCOUNT. But I guess what’s more disappointing is that I continue to believe that people are good deep down inside, and unfortunately this guy proved me wrong.

If you ever run into this person please punch them in the face for me and take $635 from them and send them to me (I'll pay you a "finders fee"!). And whatever you do don't ever sell them anything on eBay:

LaToya Ellerson
MBHB
300 S. Wacker, #2
Chicago, IL 60606
United States
(312) 913-2148
Ext.2019
eBay username: shangrilaa
email address: ltellerson@yahoo.com

Is there anything I could do at this point? I opened up a dispute on eBay but nothing came from it. I have wondered if I should hire a lawyer or something.

Comments

Tom said…
I got ripped off on eBay. Bought an original of Nora Jones's DEMO Studio CD before her 1st CD was released. I think there are only like 1,000 of them. Paid $150. Decided not to pay the extra $2 for insurance. The guy claims he sent it and it got lost and its as my fault for not insuring it, I pretty much know he ripped me off. I'm still pissed about it but I guess there are evil people all over the place. Good news is in my experience it's a small percentage of the population who are so desperate and evil. Anyways eBay doesn't do ANYTHING for you, no matter what they say. I haven't tried Pay Pal's buyer's protection but I am tempted to some time.

Good news is I have had like 200 other transactions go well. Even when something shoed up broken the seller gave me my money back, even when a year later I found out I only got 20 of 30 baseball card sets in a sealled box, they game me my money back for the missing 10 sets (over a year later).

Also I bought $3,000 of barry bonds rookies only to get a note from the FBI about these guys counterfitting these cards. In a class action suit almost a year later (where I just had to send the phony cards to the FBI) I got all my money back.

I guess at he end of it as long as you do the right thing it'll all work out, and the people who do bad stuff will continue to have bad luck because of it.

Popular posts from this blog

Gigi's Baby Shower

Marketing Jobs