American as Apple Pie

The food here is awesome.  I joke about having a glass of wine and brie every night and it's actually not far from the truth.  I remember during our house hunting visit going to some "fast food" sandwich place in the middle of the city and having the most amazing sandwich - it was the simplest recipe: baguette bread, brie, and lettuce. I loved it.  Not to mention the belgian waffle covered in chocolate that followed it.  But then somethig happened and I started to get that "American food" craving.  Right before we left we went to one of those fancy chain food seafood restaurants and I remember ordering apple pie.  And don't get me wrong, I have ALWAYS liked apple pie, but never to the point where I would pass something made of CHOCOLATE in favor of apple pie.  But I wanted to eat anything that was remotely American.

Now I crave all things American: hot dogs, apple pie, hamburgers.  And I've never been one to eat those things, well maybe except for hot dogs but other than that I can't even remeber the last time I had a hamburger.  And it's not like the food isn't delicious because it is, but give me some apple pie a la mode right now and I'll be a happy camper.  So today in the cafeteria I see something that looks like apple pie and I get all excited and it was some kind of fruit compote covered in the apple pie crumbs but it couldn't even hold a candle to real American apple pie.  I ate it half-heartedly and as with any craving that isn't fully satisfied I continued to think about apple pie the rest of the afternoon, even on the freaking treadmill at the gym.  I also miss this amazing cupcake place that we recently discovered in downtown Cincinnati.  And of course I miss Graeter's.  I even joke about having chili once I get back to Cincinnati.  I never did try it.

Yesterday I'd been running around for hours during errands and it was way past lunchtime and I was starving . All I wanted to do was go through a drive through McDonald's and order a big ass Diet Coke with a ton of ice in it (yes this is also one of those countries where they don't put any ice in your drink, it drives me insane.  Even our super duper fridge/freezer combo at home doesn't have an ice maker, which is of course a staple of every American home.  I have a teeny tiny ice tray that I make ice on every chance I get almost as if I needed to hoard ice in case of famine.  It's so funny, so useless.)

I wonder what the kids miss eating.  I know the first few days they asked for Fig Newtons non-stop and couldn't understand why we couldn't find them.  I still haven't been able to find them.  But I wonder if they miss anything else.  Tonight, my goal is to drink a tall glass of Diet Coke with LOTS and LOTS of ice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gigi's Baby Shower

Marketing Jobs