Jero & Elika's double take wedding

After what seems like months and months of talking about the excitement of going to Puerto Rico for Jero & Elika’s wedding, the gazillion wedding planning details which made my own wedding look like a simple affair in comparison, the day finally arrived for us to fly down to Puerto Rico.

Gabi was unbelievably good on the way down despite what seems like a very difficult stage. Don’t get me wrong, she’s still as cute as ever, but in true toddler-hood style, she doesn’t want to sit still for a single second. Plus she’s been going through what seems to be a very difficult transition to the toddler room at day care. Probably more difficult for me than it is for her, but she’s not SUPER EXCITED to go into day care in the morning like she used to be with her old room and her old teacher Tracy.

We arrived on Wednesday afternoon and went to dinner with Jose’s mom who was in town. She’s deathly afraid of flying so I know it took a great deal of courage for her to get on a plane just to see her granddaughter, although I did ask her a few days later if it had been worth the fear of flying and she said hell yeah as you could expect.

On Thursday we went to the beach at the Caribe Hilton – where we briefly met up with Ida and Paulina Sofia and then with Lety and Natalia. Here’s a picture of Gabi and Natalia playing on “grandma Patty’s” lap. Natalia seemed to think that Patty (Jose’s mom) has her grandma from Guadalajara. I realized that day we need to move somewhere with a beach (with warm water not like the Pacific Ocean) because Gabi simply adores being in the ocean (see my previous post about this here).


That night we went to Bea’s surprise 40th birthday party. It was so much fun to meet the old gang. We partied till 4:30 am and Gabi woke us up at 7:30 am the next morning so we were exhausted the rest of the day.


After another visit to the beach (this time at Dorado), Patty and I went shopping, I was looking for a white dress because I had been told that the dress code for that night’s cocktail party was everyone dressed in white. But lo and behold, when I show up at the cocktail, I’m the only one dressed in white, with the exception of the BRIDE herself of course. How freaking embarrassing. Thankfully, I had convinced enough people that the dress code was white that there were several of us trying to “imitate” the bride, but none more than Poliana who was actually wearing the SAME exact dress as Elika.


After the cocktail we went to dinner at Lemongrass, a new Latin Asian fusion restaurant in the Caribe Hilton. I really liked it, but I have to say I think it’s been more hyped up than it needs to be. The location and the ambiance are great, but I think it’s overpriced for what the food actually is. But maybe it was the sheer exhaustion from the previous night’s party that was making me cranky.

On Saturday we went to the beach at Caribe Hilton one more time, trying to get a little bit color on before going to the wedding. Then it was time for the beauty salon, getting dressed, etc. It was a “double take” ceremony (and hence the title of the blog) – there was a Catholic ceremony and then and Iranian ceremony. While we couldn’t make it to the first (it was impossible to leave Gabi with her babysitters so early that day), we did make it in time for the Iranian ceremony, which was really interesting and sweet, and then it was time for the party. Another late night (3:30 am I think), but worth every minute of it. The crowd was great, the music was great too, and even though my dress was bursting at the seams I actually fit into it. Our table was awesome even though we were “exiled” to the corner of the room. Best part of the night was dancing to the Thriller (initiated by myself) even though I had sworn before I would never like to be at a wedding where we would dance to Thriller. What can I say, when they play that music you just have to move to it!



The best thing about going back to Puerto Rico is that the minute you land you feel that you’ve been there all along, that you never left it for a second. If only that was true…

Monday after lots of sadness about leaving Puerto Rico, family and friends behind we got on the long flight back. I go to Fetish to get fitted for this weekend’s fashion show, and despite the fact that I probably gained 1.5 lbs during the trip, I was able to find some clothes that actually looked pretty good on me! Yay for me…I still need to freaking lose like 10 lbs. before I get pregnant again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gigi's Baby Shower

Marketing Jobs